Mr. Stanley joined the firm of Semmes, Bowen & Semmes in 1971
after service in the United States Navy. Throughout his career, Mr. Stanley has
represented diverse clients regarding disputes arising under a wide variety of
commercial and insurance contracts. His particular focus has been on advising
clients in connection with claims involving construction and procurement
projects and in defending life, health and disability insurers in the state and
federal courts of Maryland and the District of Columbia and before arbitration
panels. His service to construction industry clients has included advice
concerning the drafting, negotiation and administration of construction
contracts in an effort to avoid disputes. He has been a frequent speaker to
various professional groups on these topics.
Mr. Stanley is a trained mediator and arbitrator. For the
last 18-20 years, he has frequently served as an arbitrator or mediator of
disputes under construction, commercial and insurance contracts. He is a member
of the American Arbitration Association National Panel of Commercial
Arbitrators, a member of its Mediation Panel and has been approved as a mediator
by the Circuit Courts for Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Howard County. He
has been certified as a mediator by the ADR Oversight Committee of the Business
and Technology Case Management Program in the Circuit Courts of Maryland. He is a
member of the FINRA Dispute Resolution Board of Arbitrators, the Panel of Neutrals
of ADR Maryland and a member of the
National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (NADN).
Mr. Stanley has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 2006 and was selected as a Maryland "Super Lawyer" by Baltimore Magazine and the Maryland Super Lawyer Magazine beginning in 2007. He
has achieved an A/V® rating from Martindale Hubbell, the highest possible peer
review rating for ethics and legal ability.
- 1983, United States Supreme Court
- 1982, United States District Court for the District
- 1982, District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- 1981, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth
- 1971, United States District Court for the District
- 1967, Maryland Court of Appeals
- Georgetown University (J.D., 1967)
- Trinity College (B.A., 1964)
Affiliations, Associations & Special Achievements
- Member, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (NADN)
- American Law Firm Association (ALFA), Construction Law Section Past Chair
- American Bar Association
- Committees on Life Insurance Law (former Chair),
Health & Disability
- Insurance and Fidelity and Surety Law of the Tort
and Insurance Practice Section
- Forum Committee on Construction Industry
- Section of Public Contract Law
- Section of Dispute Resolution
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Committee on Life, Health, Disability and ERISA
- Committee on Construction Litigation
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Construction Law Section Council
- District of Columbia Bar
- American Arbitration Association
- National Panel of Commercial Arbitrators
- Mediation Panel
- FINRA Dispute Resolution
- Circuit Courts of Baltimore City, Baltimore County
and Howard County
- ADR Maryland (www.adrmaryland.com)
Selected Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Practical Construction Law For Maryland Contractors, July, 2013
- Can Individual Claimants Run to the Regulatory Agency to Recover Benefits Instead of To Court?, presented to meeting of DRI Life, Health, Disability/ERISA Committee, April 12, 2002
- Speaker, Dispute Resolution Provisions in Contracts, Maryland State Bar Association Business Law Institute, April 7, 2011, Columbia, MD
- Speaker: Advanced Alternative Dispute Resolution in Complex Construction Disputes, Maryland State Bar Association, Construction Litigation Section, January 13, 2011, Baltimore, MD.
- Speaker: The Construction Contracts Program: Understanding and Negotiating the Clauses in the New Industry Form Documents, Regional Meeting of the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, November 6, 2008, Philadelphia, PA
- Effective Use of Mediation, Arbitration and Other Dispute Resolution Procedures in Commercial and Construction Disputes, Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers, May 3, 2006 and June 16, 2009, Columbia, MD.
- Challenges to Life Insurers: Fraudulent Foreign Death Claims, 49 For the Defense p. 45, January 2007.
- Speaker: Advanced Construction Law in Maryland, presented by National Business Institute, Inc., November 28, 2001, November 7, 2002 and April 20, 2005, Baltimore, MD.
- Indoor Air Quality: Is It An Issue for Architects? presented to Annual Meeting of Maryland Society, American Institute of Architects, September 28, 2001, College Park, MD.
- Speaker: Maryland Construction Lien Law, presented By Lorman Business Systems, Inc., April 3, 1998 and June 2, 1999, Baltimore, MD; September 11, 2001, Rockville, MD; January 6, 2005, Rockville, MD; and January 20, 2005, Baltimore, MD.
- Speaker: Construction Industry Dispute Resolution: Benefits and Pitfalls? Where is it Heading?, presented to Second Annual Meeting of DRI Construction Law Committee, March 13, 1997, San Diego, CA.
- Member of faculty, March 1996, March 1997 and March 1999, MICPEL/MSBA Committee on Construction Litigation Program,
Fundamentals of Construction Law: Role of the Design Professional, University of Maryland Law School.
- Mechanic's Liens and Other Ways to Get Paid, Seminar sponsored by Homebuilders Association of Maryland, November 9, 1994.
- Speaker and Co-Moderator: May 1987 and May 1995 MICPEL/MSBA Construction Litigation Committee programs on
Alternative Disputes Resolution Techniques in Construction Litigation, Engineering Center, Baltimore, MD.